Letting Go

She flashes her huge kohl-rimmed eyes at me...
and the gleam in my own fades away
Instead of her usual bear hug
I've been getting only a cursory wave nowadays
She sashays into class like a model;
balancing nimbly on three-inch heels
And her new friends immediately surround her
Why do I suddenly feel like a living wardrobe malfunction
Looking down at my sneakers?
She's the life of parties and gatherings alike
And a complete chatterbox, who can brighten up anyone's day
But why doesnt anyone notice me?
Silently sitting in a corner;
waiting to have my say?
I envy her immaculate nails,
Her perfect clothes and hair
And I know I have a long way to go
before I can get till there...
You wont believe me when I say
that we used to be best friends
It really hurts me when people change
and relationships come to an end
It's like she's a stranger now
who wants to have nothing to do with me
Angry, sad, disbelieving, disheartened;
You tell me; how must I feel?
She's metamorphosed into a diva now
who turns heads wherever she goes
While I shuffle along inconspicuously
The 'nobody', her shadow

The next day, I fetch an old photo of two pigtailed girls
clad in identical tees and jeans
and tear it down the middle
My heart dully aches as I set fire to the pieces
and gradually feel a lump forming in my throat
Tears stream down my face...

I wonder what went wrong
Maybe we weren't meant to be friends all along...

3 handprints on my wall:

Drama Queen said...

it's so beautiful.. :)

Huzie said...

touching!

BitterSweet said...

I can actually relate to it! Keep writing more..:)

Post a Comment