Heaven On Earth.


I sing a song to the gurgling of the stream flowing past my house
accompanied by a chorus of koel calls and gunshots alike
I see no difference;
because it's all the same now...
Nowadays instead of the morning azaan
I see smoke drifting out of the neighborhood mosque
yellowing the marble walls
obscuring the view from my window
so that I have to look hard to spot the sun rising everyday
Only a few dozen flowers remain in our garden
the rest have either died or been trampled upon.
On my way home, I accidentally step on a landmine
and shrapnel pierces my body
crippling me like it has crippled my people;
my parents and my siblings too...
Blood mars the exterior of my house
staining pristine white with dark red
I remember not whether it is the remnants of last week's Eid;
or last week's shoot-out
I sing a song to the dawn prayers
prayers that give me courage; coming from that temple
standing like a silent sentinel on the hill beyond
I fill in verses and words of my own; a plea for deliverance
freedom from this cursed land
where corpses and shikaras floating on the waters of the Dal
all look the same to me...

1 handprints on my wall:

Huzie said...

Awesomely written! :)

Post a Comment