I have always liked diverse genres of music across many different languages. I am equally comfortable listening to Sufiana qalams and French pop music. It doesn't really matter to me if I don't understand the lyrics. As long as the music is good, I will listen to just about anything.
One fine day, long ago, I happened to listen to Chinna Chinna Aasai, the Tamil version of A.R. Rahman's Chhoti Si Asha from the film Roja. For some inexplicable reason, I liked it better than the Hindi version. Upon doing some research I discovered that Roja had originally been filmed in Tamil and then later dubbed in Hindi for the non-South audience.
Then a friend recommended to me the OST of A.R. Rahman's Vinnaithaandi Varuvaaya (Will you cross the skies?). After listening to it, I was completely hooked. (P.S: A.R. Rahman totally deserved a Filmfare Award for that). I read translations of the songs; and to my delight, I found that I was now able to understand a few words of Tamil. Then there was no looking back.
Many years later, an entire playlist comprising a hundred-odd songs in Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu and Kannada occupies pride of place in my iPod, aptly named "Southern Splendour". I enjoy music in these languages I do not understand, as much as the music in the languages that I do. The songs that I have special affinity for, my curiosity gets the better of me and I turn to the Internet, scouring for a translation of the lyrics.
People look at me with a strange mix of astonishment and condescension when I tell them that I listen to music in Tamil and Malayalam. "Do you not have enough music in English and Hindi to listen to?" they say. I do not think it is something I should be ashamed of. In fact, I am happy that I am not one of those ignorant ones who refer to all South Indians as "Madrasis".
People look at me with a strange mix of astonishment and condescension when I tell them that I listen to music in Tamil and Malayalam. "Do you not have enough music in English and Hindi to listen to?" they say. I do not think it is something I should be ashamed of. In fact, I am happy that I am not one of those ignorant ones who refer to all South Indians as "Madrasis".
I know that Tamil is very different from Telugu and Kannada; but quite similar to Malayalam. I can now tell the difference between kuthu and oppana. After listening to the soundtracks of Sangamam, Kadal and Maryan, I can conclude that some of A.R. Rahman's best compositions are for Tamil and not for Hindi films. I am happy to be broadening my horizons everyday through some amazing music that I have an opportunity to listen to.
The most played soundtrack on my playlist is that of a Malayalam film called Thattathin Marayathu (Behind the Veil). A simple Hindu - Muslim love story, the movie itself makes for a no-frills, sans drama, engaging watch. But the real icing on the cake is the music. The tunes are gorgeous, as are the vocals and background music. Especially in the track "Muthuchippi", where a very refreshing use of tabla and ghatam has been made. Take a bow, Mr. Shaan Rahman. We need more composers like you.
To sign off, as Thamarai writes for Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa:
en idhayam udaithaai norungave
en maru idhayam tharuven nee udaikkave
(My heart broke into pieces
.....let me give you another one to break)
...And as I hear the opening chorus of "Hosanna", the comforting feeling of listening to my favourites is all-too-familiar. After all, music joins people together, regardless of borders of culture, caste, creed, race or language. It is doing just that, in my case.
Have a listen to the OST of Thattathin Marayathu here:
0 handprints on my wall:
Post a Comment