Passive Smoker.



The metallic tang of smoke washes over me; and I start coughing uncontrollably
you take a deep drag and exhale
I voice my protests, yet you sit there with a cigarette aloft in your hand
ignoring me; as always...
letting the fumes billow around me; as always...

You've turned me into a passive smoker
A being, polluted by your toxic fumes
in desperate need of some cleansing.
It's always been this way
You rage and burn on and on
while I just stand there
stoically absorbing the after effects
that coat my insides with black soot.
I've even given up protesting
'coz you still won't put down that cigarette
and spray some air freshener.

A thick greasy layer of soot builds up in my lungs
which threatens to kill me someday.
It's not me;
but you, who the smoke should ideally be ravaging.

You accidentally drop that cigarette which starts a fire
that rages more and more
and starts consuming everything
till you point an accusing finger at me
because I allegedly distracted you and made you drop your cigarette.
You've dropped many things like this
and pointed many fingers at me
and I'm still standing there
stoically absorbing the fumes
which coat my insides with black soot.

You've turned me into a passive smoker
who's gradually metamorphosing...
Turning into a likeness of that very cigarette you hold aloft so proudly;
burning, burning bright red for a while
emitting snaking tendrils of acrid smoke;
that coat some one else's insides with black soot...
 and then crumbling to the ground like dust.

I want some fresh jasmine to clear the murky air
and steady my smoke-filled mind

but then as always,
you will reach for your lighter
and the fumes will obliterate the aroma of jasmine
polluting everything once again.

0 handprints on my wall:

Post a Comment